Friday, March 3, 2017

More progress on separating hands and out for delivery!

Two days ago (didn't have a chance to practice yesterday) I had another small step in a listener's ear, but a huge step for me! I had another micro-step in being able to do one thing with my left hand while doing another with the right hand.

In some new exercises in the Pignol and Milleret Method book there are eighth notes in the left hand basses and quarter notes in the right hand melody.  For the first time I was able to do that - I could lift my hand off the basses without simultaneous lifting my hand off the right hand melody. Of course, it didn't come automatically or every time it appeared in the exercise, but that it even started to happen was a gleeful moment. It means that my brain is beginning to build up connections which allow my hands to work more independently. Yes, this middle-aged brain can still learn new tricks!

I think it helped that it was earlier in the day too - when I'm fresher. Most of the time practice is after a long work day and dinner and a bit of family time - basically, I'm usually practicing when I'm at my worst, not best! When I practice a bit later today, I'll be curious if I can still do it and if it gets better and easier.

In other news, the silent melodeon is out for delivery for today. It got shipped in the UK on March 1st and will be delivered to my house on March 3rd. Before I continue about that - first a comparison about mail. This package from the UK is taking 2 days to get here - door to door. I had a priority mail package sent to me from Minnesota last week. It was mailed on February 22nd and expected delivery was Feb. 24th. I got it on February 28th... When someone pays for priority shipping, they are paying for faster delivery over 1st class mail, but that package got here at 1st class mail timing and that is just wrong. I have no complaint about mail taking days to get here - OK. fine. but if you pay for faster delivery, having it take 6 days is not acceptable.



OK, back to the silent melodeon, the Streb e-melodeon. I can't wait to try it out. Like, last night I could have used it. I got home at 8:30 pm. I had been away since 9 am, so I hadn't seen my family all day. My son and husband were watching a movie together, so I didn't want to disturb too much. Now, when my son watches a movie, he half pays attention as it's not a new movie, so we talk and chit-chat about the day, so talking is OK, but playing an instrument in the room would not be. Yes, I could have left the room to play, but I hadn't seen my family all day. These are the times the e-melodeon will come in useful. I could be there and practice. So practice didn't happen. By the time movie was over and spending a bit of time and reading a book to my son, it was 10:30 pm. I almost went to practice, but I was afraid practice would suck as it was now bedtime, not play time.

So, gleeful!!!! Today is the day! Too bad I have to work today too.



No comments:

Post a Comment