Saturday, January 21, 2017

What's easiest? And Resistance!

All this time I am googling and googling things on accordions. There are so many types and so many voices. One thing I kept noticing was that a lot of advice for playing kept popping up from a site called melodeon.net However, their site was down. I had no idea if it was just recently down, or if it was like many old sites that still will show articles, but you can't click on them to read the articles.

The more I googled, the more I wondered about diatonic accordions. Sites say they are easier to learn. Youtube videos showed me that they could be played with just a few notes. Most of the time you play one note with the right hand and one note with the left hand. You still work the bellows, and there is some unique bellow movement you need to do with many types of these accordions (not all - more on that in a future post), but it was making me be more curious.

Another thought that kept coming to my mind is that piano accordion is half piano. My luck with piano is so terrible, so there was so hesitation there, but also I noticed a couple of other things - accordion playing and melodeon playing, while there is over lap. It's not the same. Like listen and pay attention to this waltz on the piano accordion.




And now this one on a melodeon.




See the difference? Both are lovely. Both are simple tunes... but look how much of a beast a piano accordion is and how much she has to move her fingers compared to the melodeon? PLUS side to that is that piano accordions can play in any key - unlike melodeons, but then there is the Chromatic Button Accordion that is more intuitive for this layout that can do it all. The piano accordion is really only easier if you already play piano - I do not and most of the stuff I think I'll ever play will be simple tunes. I am 47 years old, after all! Not such a spring chicken to be learning a whole new instrument!

Here's a waltz on a chromatic Button Accordion (CBA)



So, I googled and googled and learned more and more what I liked and didn't. What I thought would be a simple "I'll just get an accordion" opened my eyes to how much more there was to it! But, that's the next post!
______________________________________

Another addendum: Yesterday was inauguration day. I didn't watch it. I couldn't. But I did help with childcare at work so that adults could have a discussion of what Resistance to do now. And then I attended and helped out with this Resistance Un-Ball. There was open mic... I have never been able to do open mic - how lovely it would be to pick up an instrument and play a piece to unite people and bring strength and joy. I think that will be a future post.

As soon as I send this blog post off, my husband and I are off the the Women's March in Washington, DC. Of my circle, every single local woman I know is planning on attending - several are flying or driving in. I'm about positive the gathering will be bigger than yesterday's Inauguration - and it's happening around the globe. RESIST!












No comments:

Post a Comment