Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Being a beginner totally stinks

There is just so much to learn and nothing is intuitive and it's not much stress relief if it's having to learn and practice dreadfully. I mean, I am learning and I'm not getting impatient enough that I'll quit, but when I hear all these tunes and I cannot play any of them, and it feels like it will be a thousand years before I can play any of them, it's a drag. Like today, The piece that was introduced in the book today has 16th notes on basses (left hand) and quarter, 8th and 16th notes on the right hand and those 16th notes are opposite of the ones played on the basses. The 16th on right hand against the 16th note on left hand is so unnatural to me that I feel like I'll never get it. The recording I have of the song has it at speed and slowly. I can't play it if you halve the tempo at the slow version. Sigh.

And you wouldn't think I would have problems playing on and off the beat as I am a horn player and horns always get the offbeats while most of the the rest of the band is playing on the beat, but that is a different skill to be learned. This is learning to untie my hands.  When I was talking to my son about that, he said he remembers how hard that was in learning to play the piano too and that in itself is so interesting. It's not like we do the same things with our hands. Right now typing - my hands are working independently. I can drum fairly well (rhythmically using my hands and feet differently from each other) when drumming on the table or my lap. What is it about piano and the button box? I'm seeing progress in that, but any slight new step in making the hands more and more independent leads to a new skill that needs to be developed.

Now, I have only played it through a few times - or tried to play it through. I can't. I'll have to dissect it more and just have patience.


Maybe I'll record some of it. Here is a violin version of the piece, just to give you an idea of how it is supposed to sound: Reel du Sirop D'erable

Here is me... OMG... It's embarrassing to share as it is so, so, so bad. Well, it does say the song means maple syrup... maybe maple syrup is in my melodeon thus making it sound horrible?

I did two takes - no clipping, stopping before the end. Totally lost the thread, etc.

Take one. Stopped midway through.

Take two. Struggled horribly through - embarrassing to even share.

Playing it at the piano - sloppily - right hand only. I'm not a piano player, but it gives you a sense of what I'm trying to play.


The art I'm sharing today? It's how I feel when I play - dufus.


No comments:

Post a Comment