Saturday, February 4, 2017

Now that I have the diatonic accordion on the way, maybe I should have gone a different direction?

While I am waiting the last few days for the two diatonic accordions to come my way, I had a new thought...what if this was a mistake and I should have gotten a Chromatic Button Accordion (CBA)?

The diatonic accordion is limited by the keys it can play and some pieces just don't fit well in all keys. For solo work, it doesn't make much difference, but if I ever wanted to play in an ensemble, having the box be in the right key would be crucial. And even then, each box only has so many notes available to it and puzzling it out is part of playing the instrument. You could need to carry - 3-4 boxes with you to a gig and even then the pieces wouldn't be spot on because of the need to switch bellow directions for different notes, etc.


One way around that is the piano accordion (PA), of course, or the Chromatic Button Accordion. The latter is probably where I would go if I really wanted to blend in with a band, chorus, etc or, more importantly, to place a larger variety of music.

Of course, that got me thinking immediately then, "Crap, maybe I should have just started with the CBA" - and not really for playing with anyone. I mean come on... I'm 47 and probably not going to ever play for anyone but myself... but will I find the diatonic limiting? (Why the doubts Melissa?!?!?!?)

A CBA accordion is basically like a piano accordion, but uses buttons instead. From everything I've read, they are easier for most people to play if they are coming to the instrument fresh, but the piano accordion would probably be easier for those who come from a keyboard background.

One of the reasons the CBA accordion is easier (from what I've read) is that it is super easy to change key (same fingering pattern) and more importantly, it's more ergonomic for the hand. Here is one piece played on a melodeon and then on the PA and the CBA:









And then there is this Virtuoso on this CBA: WOW!!! This is just AMAZING!


The CBA also has more notes than a keyboard can hold... those a wider range of what can be played without modification. I would never, ever, ever, ever be able to play like the one above, but I can appreciate the enormous talent! 

What will I sound like? Probably a lot like this, including lots of F bombs....


But, I will start with what I have on the way. It is less to learn all at once. "If" I ever find that limiting, I can switch to a CBA and would have a head start because I would understand bellows, playing the two hands separately and would have a better understanding of playing basses. The wait is almost over! (The method book arrived today!) Oh... and the two melodeons should arrive today too! Whoop!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment